The tournament structure for para-badminton at an international level is as follows:
- Para-Badminton World Championships
- Continental Championships
- International Tournaments
Applications to Host – Sanctioning
- Event sanctioning for international tournaments in 2017 and 2018 has closed.
- BWF is now receiving bids for 2018 Para-Badminton Continental Championships. Request for Proposal can be found here.
Para-Badminton World Championships are hosted every two years (on odd numbered years – 2015 / 2017 / 2019). The Para-Badminton World Championships is an “open international tournament”.
Continental Championships are sanctioned by the BWF and these Continental Championships are hosted every two years (on even numbered years – 2014 / 2016 / 2018 etc.). The Championships are “closed international tournaments”. Each Continental Championships is restricted to the nations / BWF Members for that particular Continental Confederation.
These are open tournaments and are designated “classifier training tournaments”. These generally are larger tournaments where classifier training also takes place
Classification at Tournaments
Not all BWF sanctioned para-badminton tournaments will have International Classifiers to classify new players. Players entering tournaments should read the invitations carefully before entering the tournament. More information on classification is available on the BWF website.